category: UI UX Design
30 Striking Mobile App Trends in 2023
Posted by: Prince Pal | Posted date: 04-November-2022Scroll Down
- 5G Technology
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML)
- Augmented (AR ) and Virtual Reality (VR)
- Mobile Commerce (mCommerce)
- PWAs (Progressive Web Apps) and Instant Apps
- Beacon Technology
- Edge computing
- Cloud services
- IoT And Big Data
- More On-Demand Apps
- Bots or Chatbots
- Personal "Smart Hubs"
- Predictive Analysis
- Cross-Platform Apps or Super Apps
- Low-code App Development
- Apps for foldable devices
- Mobile Entertainment / Mobile Gaming
- Mobile app security
- P2P (peer-to-peer payment) Mobile Apps or Personal Payment Apps
- Digital wallets
- Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL)
- Cryptocurrency as payment
- Voice Search Optimization
- API-first Development
- Push Notifications
- Serverless architecture
- Motion UI
30 Striking Mobile App Trends in 2023
The COVID-19 pandemic has significantly added growth to smartphones, which results in a boom in the development of mobile applications.
With the release of new mobile technologies, the mobile app development trends keep changing every year.
The app development market is full of opportunities and is expected to continue for years to come.
At present, there are around 2.8 million mobile apps, 6.3 billion smartphones, and 1.14 billion users across the world.
By the end of 2025, more than 70% of the world’s population will be using mobile devices. That means there will be billions of mobile gadgets and millions of apps to download.
In the year 2023, we will see a list of new trends popping up. App developers are creating tools to build websites, mobile apps, IoT applications, On-demand Applications, and much more and focusing on AI, ML, AR, VR, and other such technologies.
In this article, let’s have a quick review of upcoming Mobile App Developer Trends in 2023:
The fifth generation of wireless technology: 5G is expected to provide a noticeable improvement in cellular network capacity and reliability when compared to previous generations.
With network speeds 10 times faster and latency reduced by 50%, 5G will set up new standards for applications and experiences.
With technologies like AR, VR, autonomous vehicles, IoT, and more, the number of apps using 5G will increase significantly, and therefore app developers need to create new apps that are compatible with 5G technology.
The emphasis of 5G technology is on speed; it can operate 100 times faster than most existing networks.
This speed allows users to connect with wearables, gadgets, and machines in addition to phones.
According to some recent predictions from Gartner, the one-year growth of the 5G network amounted to 5.4 bn USD in 2021. The increasing demand for broadband connectivity is stimulated by COVID-19, remote work, and the growing popularity of streaming services.
With the higher radiofrequency and shorter wavelength of 5G, geofencing and geo-targeting would be more precise for mobile apps.
For app developers, this means that most of the users will expect native support of 5G and the other advantages it can offer.
Some advantages of 5G technology include:
- Better view due to more traffic capacity.
- Deep personalization based on ML and AI solutions.
- More horizontal connectivity.
- A gradual shift towards cloud-based data processing.
In 2023, 5G will be on the list of Top Trends of Mobile App Development.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML)
With the emergence of new AI and ML technologies and greater awareness of their benefits, the developers are now focusing on building AI-powered apps.
This trend is expected to dominate the app development market in the next 5 years.
AI and Machine Learning are the key technologies to be incorporated to provide a personalized user experience.
At first, it is essential for speech recognition, navigation, and natural language processing, now it will provide greater security by analyzing user behavior.
- AI-powered Algorithms can employ advanced machine learning to learn from user behavior and pull data to predict what will happen next.
- AI could apply in future app development for facial & speech recognition and biometrics analysis.
- ML is significantly helpful to reduce the time spent on developing apps.
- In the healthcare industry, AI has been used to reduce the time spent on administrative tasks.
- AI-powered thermal scanners also have been deployed to reduce physical contact and transmission.
Mobile app developers can use AI algorithms to monitor the choices users make.
Automated logic technology makes it easier for mobile app developers to optimize their tasks by providing the best options for performing a task.
AI and ML provide a personalized experience to users. From social media platforms to food delivery apps, artificial intelligence is everywhere. This will continue to be the key driver of app development in 2023 and beyond.
Augmented (AR ) and Virtual Reality (VR)
AR and VR have already enabled online service providers to engage with their customers personally.
AR & VR trend has opened up many opportunities in possible sectors including retail, education, healthcare, entertainment, etc.
Today, many e-commerce websites like Amazon, Walmart, etc are using AR VR technology to enhance their user experience by creating virtual showrooms.
The entertainment value provided by AR & VR is now fully enjoyed by all the users. In just over a decade, AR turned from a dream to a reality, so it won't be long until AR and VR will be integrated with daily life to improve its productivity and efficiency.
- Many retail stores allow you to see extended descriptions of their items through AR & VR technology on your smartphone cameras.
- Many industry-leading institutions are adopting VR as a supporting tool for interviewing, onboarding procedures, and skills training.
- A 360-degree visual format allows viewers to virtually visit different places and events.
- Considering the earlier mentioned 5G advancement, the integration of AR and VR offers many unique advantages for digital growth. Hence, app developers have started exploring and experimenting with these technologies.
- MOBILE AR MARKET SIZE 2021: 9.5bn USD (Statista, 2021)
- NUMBER OF MOBILES WITH AR ACTIVE USER DEVICES 2021: 810m (Statista, 2021)
- AR GLASSES UNIT SALES 2021: 410k (Statista, 2021)
- The combined market share of AR and VR will be $160 billion by 2023. (Statista, 2021)
- The AR and VR market size reached $12 billion in 2020. (Statista, 2021)
AR & VR technology has the potential to be a game changer in mobile app development.
In the year 2023, developers will improve the learning experiences to make mobile apps more engaging.
Blockchain is an encrypted database storage system. It stores information in the form of blocks, which are then added as a chain, and the transaction becomes more secure and error-free.
The blockchain is one of the best ways to secure user data, whether it's a record of transactions (cryptocurrencies) or documents.
Blockchain technology enables its user to transact through the Internet without any third party.
For app developers, this means they can decentralize multiple functions and ensure that hackers cannot access sensitive data by gaining control over network nodes.
Major Benefits of Blockchain in Mobile App Development:
- Blockchain works on a consensus algorithm, which makes it almost impossible to break.
- Recorded data is stored over a network, making it easily accessible to users.
- The blockchain system is decentralized, and thus, the chances of mistakes are low.
- Data can be transferred across the network without any requirement of intermediaries.
- The level of cryptography and encryption algorithms in blockchain systems is much higher than those currently used in mobile apps.
- Modern development platforms like React Native allow you to easily integrate blockchain elements into cross-platform apps to ensure a smooth and secure user experience.
This technology has the potential to revolutionize various business sectors by reducing the risk of cyber crimes. Blockchain technology lets web developers use open source systems for their projects, making the development process much easier.
Blockchain technology is growing rapidly, and playing a vital role in the mobile app development process. It offers increased transparency, increased security, and automation, making it to be on the list of top trends in 2023.
Mobile Commerce (mCommerce)
After e-commerce, now m-commerce (mobile commerce) is clearing the way for marketing, business, and online shopping.
The number of sales in the e-commerce sector has increased using mobile devices, and this development is termed 'M-commerce'.
Mobile commerce can be referred to as an extension of e-commerce where the transaction takes place online through a mobile app and not through a website.
- This trend has shown an increase in user engagement and revenue growth of online businesses.
- This is one of the top trends in mobile app development and e-commerce companies rapidly adapted to mCommerce not to lose out on customers.
- With more reliable content delivery through wireless devices, it is expected that mobile commerce will overtake e-commerce platforms for digital commerce transactions.
Some Impressive Stats on M-Commerce
- The mobile payments market is expected to see 24.5% growth by 2026.
- Around 85% of shoppers worldwide search for products online before buying.
- 42% of brand interactions through mobile devices involve Google search.
- 60% of consumers use social media to research new products and services.
- In 2022, 79% of smartphone users have made a purchase online using their mobile devices.
- As more mobile payment applications (Paypal, Amazon Pay, Apple Pay, etc) are used to accept payments, the use of mobile payments is set to continue its unstoppable growth of 26.93% between 2020 – 2025
The vast mobile user base provides more opportunities in the m-commerce sector. It has immense potential to expand into both consumer and enterprise markets.
Annual m-commerce investment has noticed significant growth and will surely be on top trends for app development in 2023.
PWAs (Progressive Web Apps) and Instant Apps
PWAs are web apps that use their features in combination with progressive enhancements to provide users with an experience similar to native apps.
PWAs are growing popular as they fill the gaps in most native apps and web pages. These are beneficial for consumers and service providers due to less dependency on the internet connection, faster loading and development times, automatic updates, etc.
Instant Apps are also about to evolve similarly as users are allowed to test the app before downloading and installing it.
Considered the next big thing in application development, PWAs have less dependence on the Internet, require shorter loading times, and do not take up much space.
- PWAs are also highly accessible and adaptable and are updated automatically.
- The importance of PWAs has been highlighted during the coronavirus crisis, especially in the e-commerce industry, due to the dramatic increase in online shopping activity.
- 50% of Flipkart's new customers were acquired through PWAs; In addition, 60% of their PWA visitors uninstalled the native application to save space.
Progressive Web Apps Essential Statistics:
- Online retailers in the US and Canada experienced a 55% to 70% increase in orders between March 29 and April 12 of 2020. (Emarsys, 2021)
- 24% of e-commerce companies planned to invest in PWAs in 2020 and 11% were already using PWA in the same year. (Statista; Search Node, 2020)
- PWAs’ conversion rate is 36% higher than the conversion rate of native mobile apps. (Medium, 2019)
- PWAs and “instant apps” are web page-app hybrids that promise instantaneous usage the moment you see it, without installing anything.
Many B2B and B2C companies have seen increased engagement, conversion rates, and sales and revenue after launching their PWA platforms. This technology will be a milestone in the mobile app development trends in 2023.
Small devices that generate a Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) signal are known as beacons. Introduced in 2013, it is now an emerging technology in web and app development that allows businesses to use it to understand the buying patterns and buying behavior of consumers.
The beacon technology is used for proximity marketing.
It shows the app notification with a coupon for the product that is closer to the user or displays in-app content with details of a nearby event.
Beacon technology collects time and location details from customers for in-depth analysis, helps customers improve their purchases with exclusive offers, benefits from easier payment processing, and much more.
Various industries, including museums, hospitality, healthcare facilities, and more, can derive significant benefits from adopting the technology.
- According to Geomarketing, there are currently 3.9 million proximity sensors deployed globally that use beacons. Brands, retailers, and advertising agencies use it to send push notifications to customers.
- Another potential use case for beacon technology is to track and prevent the spread of COVID-19. Both Google and Apple announced a contact tracing framework using Bluetooth in the form of the Exposure Notification API.
- It has been observed that if a product is advertised using a beacon, people are more likely to see and engage with its product.
It is rapidly changing the way people navigate. Companies are using it to provide them with a more personalized experience. This is a revolutionary technology that will be on the trending list in the year 2023.
Wearables have changed the whole world and wearable technology will see huge growth for mobile application development in 2023. This technology is not limited to smartwatches, it includes all devices that can be worn on the body or attached to clothing.
People are now using different types of wearables like earbuds, smartwatches, etc. to connect with the world.
- Wearables provide a high level of convenience to the users; This allows them to receive messages and notifications on their smartwatch.
- Fitness tracking wearables have also seen a huge boom; Awareness about healthy living has become pervasive in the minds of the general public.
- Due to wearable devices, the demand for mobile applications required to operate these devices will increase.
- Wearable technology has a major impact on two industries: healthcare and sports. Various other industries will also adopt wearable technology as per the requirement.
Wearable apps are user-centric and operate flawlessly while providing a personalized experience. Mobile app development companies are creating wearable apps that are versatile and provide optimum performance.
Wearables are connected via the Internet to smartphones or similar devices. Innovative features like hands-free monitoring, data security, work accuracy, readability, and other wearable devices are needed gadgets for today. Shortly, we will see the integration of wearable technology into a large number of devices in upcoming years.
As the use of mobile applications is increasing, the demand for more computing power poses a challenge to a cloud-based architecture. Also, the latency associated with cloud computing affected the performance of some apps.
Fortunately, many of these issues are getting addressed with the advent of edge computing.
Edge computing enables devices to process data at the edge instead of sending the data cloud-first. This technology has made the smartphone part of the cloud.
- This enables a more reliable and low-latency network for autonomous vehicles; IoT devices, drones, and other high-load systems.
- It brings computation and data storage closer to where data is generated, enabling better data control, lower costs, faster insights and actions, and continuous operation.
- By 2025, 75% of industry data will be processed at the edge, as today it's only about 15%.
- App developers are expected to create apps that are compatible with edge computing.
- More and more companies are adapting their products to edge computing to reduce latency and allow apps to run faster and more smoothly.
Edge computing is the new incarnation of the cloud. In edge computing; many of the user's data are processed either at the nearest station (also known as the edge of the cloud) or locally.
With the help of this technology, your smartphone will become part of the cloud, which in turn will reduce the problem of latency.
- With instant access to data, businesses will be able to process information at a greater speed, enabling them to make informed decisions.
- Other companies including manufacturing, retail, shipping, and logistics are adopting edge computing at a rapid pace.
It will help accelerate the adoption of IoT and autonomous cars through edge-powered smartphones with 5G technology. The improvement in the B2B mobile trend also reflects the growing importance of Edge.
Edge computing has a huge impact on various industry verticals, therefore will create its place in top trends in 2023 for mobile app development.
Cloud services refer to a wide range of services offered on demand to companies and customers over the Internet.
From checking email to collaborating on internet documents, many of us use cloud services throughout our workday.
These services are designed to provide easy access to applications and resources without internal infrastructure or hardware.
- Some of the benefits of cloud computing include lower hosting costs, increased loading capacity, streamlined corporate processes, and other comparable processes.
- Cloud technology also understands many security difficulties and has helped mobile app development become ethical, real, and timely.
- Cloud computing creates robust applications.
- Cloud service solutions enhance the ability to scale.
Since the cloud service provider supplies all the necessary infrastructure and software, there is no need for a company to invest in its resources or allocate additional IT staff to manage the service.
In turn, this makes it easier for the business to scale the solution as the user needs change – whether that means increasing the number of licenses or expanding and developing the applications themselves to accommodate the growing workforce.
- Many cloud services allow organizations to access software, storage, and other services without investing in the underlying infrastructure or handling maintenance and upgrades.
- With cloud services, companies can purchase services as needed. If and when a particular Application or Platform is no longer needed, the business may discontinue the service.
As the availability of cloud services increases, so their applications will. These services will continue to simplify how organizations deliver critical apps and data to the workforce.
From application delivery to desktop virtualization solutions, as well as a wide range of options in between, cloud services are changing the way people work and the way businesses operate.
IoT And Big Data
IoT and Big Data are the game changers for the future, and today they are being discussed practically everywhere.
IoT can be defined as a network of Internet-enabled devices, where no human involvement is required for data transfer.
This is expected to be the next big thing in the field of mobile applications. Mobile connectivity can be expanded around the world, and IoT can standardize processes by making them more abrupt.
Since IoT is cloud-based, it offers numerous benefits.
- These benefits include better security, higher efficiency, lower operating costs, and better connections to other platforms via APIs.
- IoT (the Internet of Things) has evolved out of a tendency to become a part of our daily routine. Global giants are using this technology to transform the way we see and use things.
- IoT helps to embed multiple apps and devices and their functions as a system that manages everything.
- With the introduction of devices like Google Home and Echo, IoT has reached a whole new level. These devices are powered by IoT.
IoT has proven to be one of the most powerful web development trends as it drives continuous data transfer.
It helps companies connect with customers faster, creating personalized experiences. In addition, IoT can be used to create advanced communication between different operational models and website layouts.
Benefits of IoT in Web Development
- This smart ecosystem can be extensively availed by businesses across websites and mobile apps. The technology can also be used in web development:
- IoT data transfer delivers accurate results without delays or errors.
- Helps to support powerful security technologies for the business and user data.
- Helps developers gain more insights, analyze customer behavior and improve the overall user experience.
Examples: Wearable devices, Biometric cybersecurity, Connected cars.
It's time for developers to include it as an essential feature. Because future investors will give utmost importance to such aspects.
IoT is another technology that you should look at when considering the mobile app development trends for 2023.
It is one of the most promising current trends in web development; if we look at the Statista report, we will find that the IoT market will grow to $1.1 trillion by 2023. It is estimated that around 30 billion Internet devices will be operating in 2025.
More On-Demand Apps
On-demand mobile apps are the future of the mobile app development world. Swiggy, Zomato, AirBnB, Uber, and many others are examples of such apps.
On-demand apps are 'third-party' apps that allow users to buy or rent a product or service.
These apps are present in the field of Food & Grocery Delivery, Accommodation, Logistics, Transportation, etc. On-demand apps have made people's lives a lot easier.
Customers love these apps for features like notifications, live tracking, multiple payment features, customer support, reviews, ratings, and cancellation.
- On-demand Apps have gained popularity because of their ability to meet the demand of each particular individual.
- Plus, as the number of mobile users continues to grow, this change has shaped user expectations so much that users can expect to find what they need at any time just by tapping on the screen.
To have a clear picture of the On-Demand Services market, look at some of the most recent statistics, trends, and user data.
- 48% are under the age of 35
- 52% are female
- 43% of users have a four-year college degree or higher
- 51% live in a suburb, and 14% live in an inner city
- 53% report an annual household income of at least $50,000, while 36% report an annual household income of at least $75,000
As a type of eCommerce app, an online marketplace is an on-demand platform where a product or service is provided by multiple third parties.
The on-demand marketplace is a broad term that covers a whole bunch of subcategories, including:
- Education: Udemy
- Consumer goods: eBay, Etsy, and Poshmark
- Food: Doordash, Seamless, and OpenTable
- Delivery: Instacart, Postmates
- Transportation: BlaBlaCar, Uber, BlaBlaCar, and Lyft
- Recruiting: Glassdoor, Indeed
- Crowdfunding: Kickstarter, Gofundme, and Patreon
On-demand service apps are some of the most revolutionary digital trends released in the market over the years. And there's still plenty of room for new entrants for on-demand service apps to fill in with plenty of avenues.
Bots or Chatbots
The chatbot allows users to automatically open a helpdesk request and get instant resolution of multiple customer support queries without waiting for an 'official' response from the customer service department.
In addition, customer readiness for chatbots is fueled by the growing popularity of smart speakers, which include AI-powered assistants such as Siri and Amazon Alexa.
With their technology, they will soon become a common occurrence. Even end-users find it more convenient to interact with bots rather than virtual agents.
Chatbots generally provide quick replies in emergencies and quick resolution of complaints.
AI chatbots are a trend that is considered a worthy investment in the long term. They can answer FAQs, connect to users with the right human assistant, and can even take orders.
The AI-powered chatbot is a smarter version of the regular chatbot. This technology uses NLP (Natural Language Processing) NLP and ML (Machine Learning) to understand the user intent and provide a human-like experience.
With innovation in AI and ML, chatbots are reaching new heights. Chatbots use sentiment analysis, semantic search, and voice recognition.
An increasing number of companies are integrating mobile apps with chatbots in logistics, education, IoT, healthcare, and many more.
AI-powered chatbots can be easily integrated into regular/professional websites and PWAs.
According to startupbonsai.com, chatbots can handle 68.9% of end-to-end chats. Studies show that more than 40% of Internet users worldwide find it easier to interact with chatbots than virtual agents.
- Communicating with highly advanced bots has become more organic as they use semantic search, voice recognition, and sentiment analysis
- Apps integrated with chatbots have wide applications in education, health, IoT, and many other areas.
- Modern chatbots are still viewed by some users as imperfect customer service tools. But, they already have many unique advantages.
Some other Benefits are:
- They are available on a 24*7 basis.
- A chatbot platform can serve any number of users simultaneously.
- The cost of this technology is affordable for most small and medium businesses.
The evolution of machine learning and AI will allow chatbots to provide communication personalization and multi-language support for all users. According to Statista, the chatbot industry is growing faster.
By 2027, it will cross the $450 million mark. Chatbots will become a common trend in mobile app development in 2023.
Personal "Smart Hubs"
Generally, Hubs are network equipment that acts as a place of convergence for data from one (or more) devices and then forwards the data to one (or more) directions.
New technologies have made your smartphone app a smart hub for IoT-enabled devices, using the app as an API.
Smart hubs connect locally or to the cloud, and are useful for IoT devices that use the Zigbee or Z-Wave protocols or Bluetooth instead of Wi-Fi.
For example, if a smartphone that doesn't use ZigBee for communication wants to "talk" with Smart Lock, which uses only Zigbee, not the smartphone's Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, then Smart Home Hub acts as a translator.
A smart home hub is a hardware or software that connects devices on a home automation network and controls communication between them.
Apps that act as a smart hub can interact seamlessly with all connected devices and help to use a smartphone as a central dashboard.
- This technology will help us to start, stop or regulate various devices through these apps without physically touching them.
- Mobile app development companies are now taking into account IoT-powered devices like Google Home and Echo for new introductions.
- Users can control devices in their homes using their smartphones as dashboards. It has become easy to give commands without touching any device.
- Smart hub, combines analytics, AI, intelligent query processing, and personalization to provide a relevant, connected, and actionable web-like search experience on your portal.
- Smart Hub combines Automation, Bots, Query Processing, Index Orchestration, Data Integration, Type ahead, Machine Learning with Analytics, and Automation, providing AI to process Natural Language Queries, Personalization, Recommendations, Filtering, Relevance, and Reporting.
Mobile app development is going to be huge and fast in 2023.Predictive Analytics takes specific mobile app analytics to the next level. They draw from many areas of modern technology, such as traditional statistics and user data, data mining/modeling, and artificial intelligence.
Predictive analytics is an emerging sector of the mobile app development world, it makes predictions of future events using available data, employing techniques like machine learning, data mining, and statistics.
Using these analytics, developers can take action, to add or remove features, which can make apps more useful for their users. .
You can leverage predictive analytics to offer user recommendations and predict the future of your business to increase engagement levels, increase sales, and make more informed business decisions.
- Using predictive analytics to increase sales and profits
- Using predictive analytics to drive engagement and conversation
- Using predictive analytics to reduce risk and prevent fraud
- Many e-com platforms use predictive analytics to offer product recommendations based on your past purchases and browsing history.
- Google and other search engines use predictive analytics to provide you with suggested search phrases based on your search history, location, and regional search trends.
- An online dating website may use predictive analysis to recommend another member who is likely to be a good match.
Companies are also mixing predictive analytics and mobile app technology with IoT to develop cost-saving preventive maintenance programs.
- Studies show higher conversion rates when you integrate product recommendations.
Banks are taking advantage of predictive analytics to identify high-risk areas in case of fraud or other loss.
- Use of GPS data to determine which bank branch or ATM is closest to the customer's office, home, or other location.
Using predictive apps in conjunction with monitoring tools to estimate a driver's risk level.
- The Predictive app sends in-car data through an algorithm to estimate a driver's level of risk to ensure that the driver pays an insurance rate representative of their actual driving habits.
Insurance apps can also estimate what type of coverage you can buy and make recommendations.
These are just some of the ways developers are using predictive analytics on the web. But technology is also developing rapidly in the mobile sector. As processing power grows, we are seeing tremendous growth in the field of predictive analytics.
Cross-Platform Apps or Super Apps
There are about 25,000 different Android phone models, all with their versions and hardware specifications of Android—and that is four years ago. These include the iPhones which have a completely different mobile application ecosystem. What should a developer do when there is a need to write for both devices? Write for each separately, because writing for one does not necessarily mean that it will go into the other. However, a cross-platform framework can eliminate this problem.
A cross-platform framework should allow an app to run on the two major mobile operating systems. Other popular frameworks include PhoneGap, Xamarin, and Unity.
- React Native is the most popular mobile framework used by software developers in both 2019 and 2020. (Statista, 2020)
- The writing code should be the same for each of the 24,000 different Android phone models and iPhones.
- Cross-platform frameworks may allow a developer to code only once, but let the app run on both types of OS.
- In cross-platform apps, the premise is that a developer can design and build an application using the same language or tool set, and quickly deploy it to different platforms at the "click of a button".
- This approach has long been touted as the need to maintain only one code base (or "project") and the ability to fix any number of problems available on any platform.
- It greatly reduces the cost of software development as the code base requires less testing.
Cross-platform applications can make it extremely easy for users, with more experience in maintaining a website, to maintain all platforms through a custom CMS (Content Management System).
This benefits many businesses as it gives them the ability to allocate their budget for building applications, and gives one the ability to maintain the content of websites in-house and add media when needed.
Low-code App Development
A low-code (or no-code) platform can allow an organization to design and develop apps without coding experience.
Such platforms can reduce the complexity of app development.
Organizations can use low-code app development frameworks to speed up app development time. This is attractive on many levels, as businesses may not always have the resources or time to develop an app.
Low or no-code app development is usually straightforward, using drag-and-drop actions and an intuitive UI to build the app.
These platforms likely won't be the end of traditional coding for apps, but they will become a common way for businesses to build their first app without the need for an app developer or outsourcing.
- Organizations can use low-code app frameworks to speed up the app development process.
- It's also cost-effective, as businesses can build an app without outsourcing it or hiring an app developer.
- By 2024, 65% of app development will be done using low-code platforms. (Alpha Software, 2021)
Facts on Low-Code Use
- By 2025, organizations will build 70% of their new applications using low-code platforms, and the global market forecast for low-code is approximately US 65 billion by 2027.
- According to Gartner, the majority of enterprises (80%) will have policies for civilian developers by 2024. This will likely be an effort to reduce stress on IT departments, while collectively improving workflows as businesses operate in increasingly unpredictable markets.
- 26% of executives believe low-code platforms are the most critical investment in automation (up from 10% since the pandemic).
Low-code is predicted to become mainstream in 2023.
That said, consumer data security is as important as the user experience. Because no one wants to lose their sensitive information or money by mistake.
Cyber security solutions can provide your company with comprehensive digital security. It allows flexibility in accessing the Internet by employees and ensures security from potential threats and risks.
- Protects Personal Information: A virus can collect personal information about your employees or customers, it is quite likely that data will be sold or used to steal their money.
- Protects and Increases Productivity: A virus-infected system can cause downtime at work for your employees and the wastage will additionally bring the entire company to a standstill.
- Prevents website crashes: For a business, you're probably hosting your website. If your system is infected, there is a big risk that your website will be forced to shut down.
- Support your IT professional: Typically, a good security system provides your organization and employees with the best tools, technology, and support to deal with cyber-attacks and criminals.
- Keep your personal information private.
- Organize data and information more effectively.
A recent industry study shows that it is the fastest growing cyber security skill for the coming year. Demand is expected to increase by 165% over the next five years.
Apps for foldable devices
Today, users need to choose between a compact form factor and a large screen. Foldable devices, offer everything in one device. Foldable smartphones can double the screen of a traditional device.
Modern smartphones have a limited screen size which does not allow them to fit all the required features.
With the foldable device, it will be possible to create multi-screen applications that will provide more features to the users on a single screen.
- Foldable tablets and smartphones will one day take over the world of such devices, and they will bring a lot of opportunities.
The term "foldable device" refers to the availability of flexible OLED displays that can be folded into a double-size full-screen display
- Foldable devices offer users a better and more immersive experience. For example, Samsung Galaxy Fold.
- A lot of research has been done on this specific topic, proving that foldable phones are the future of technology. These phones have other unique features including bright colors, attractive designs, and comfort.
- According to Statista, 75.6 million foldable smartphone displays will be shipped in 2025.
However, the technology is predicted to become more popular among smartphone and tablet makers in 2023.
If you want to keep up with the latest trends and innovations, this is a great time to start exploring the new technology that stands behind foldable devices.
Mobile Entertainment / Mobile Gaming
Mobile has become the new hub of gaming and entertainment. Mobiles have provided easy and affordable access to the world of entertainment and gaming apps.
There has been a huge increase in the number of start-ups tapping the mobile entertainment industry with attractive and engaging apps for customers.
With current mobile app development trends, it is clear that more developers are jumping on board and doing their part to push the boundaries.
- The mobile gaming industry is one of the largest global industries at the moment, the industry generated $77.2 billion in revenue in 2020.
- Experts around the world predict that the industry will continue to grow. They point to trends and progress within the industry as an indication of future growth.
- Unlike gaming consoles, smartphones are multi-purpose devices. And unlike the PC, a smartphone is a necessity for all.
- Game development companies are now looking for ways to make the gaming experience even better. One way they are doing this is through controllers that fit the mobile form factor.
- New mobile game app developers have introduced new monetization methods in recent years to monetize their users.
- The new monetization model has helped developers generate more revenue and increase the overall revenue share of the global mobile gaming industry.
All developments indicate another rise. With more games and more users and in return more revenue.
Dimensions in mobile gaming are still expanding and it's better than it was a few years ago. Mobile gaming will be on the top trending list of app development in 2023.
Mobile app security
Mobile security is one of the biggest concerns in digital security. Offering data protection, information privacy, and enhanced productivity, among others, Digital Security is one of the top trending mobile app developments in 2023-2025. There is a great scope in the sector of mobile security for mobile app development companies.
Consumers often trust and rely on organizations to test their applications for security measures before making them available.
But, studies conducted by IBM revealed shocking facts.
- 50% of companies have zero budget to keep their mobile apps secure.
- 40% of companies do not scan codes in their mobile apps for security vulnerabilities.
- 1 billion personal data records were compromised by cyber attacks in 2014, and mobile malware is affecting 11.6 million devices at any given time.
- On average, a company tests less than half the mobile apps you build, and 33% never test apps to make sure they're secure.
Importance of mobile app security features in the future-
- You can predict hackers' behavior to uncover flaws in code and fix them before hackers exploit them.
- With mobile app security, developers can live their applications without worrying too much about security risks.
- Through mobile app security testing, you can detect security vulnerabilities that can cause major security breaches once the mobile application goes live.
By the above factors, mobile app security will be on the list of the top trend in mobile app development in 2023.
P2P (peer-to-peer payment) Mobile Apps or Personal Payment Apps
Another trend that is emerging in the mobile app development industry is the rise of P2P mobile apps.
These apps have made people's lives extremely convenient and simple. Users can now make quick payments from these apps and sellers can also receive payments directly into their bank accounts.
Peer-to-peer payment services are apps or app features that allow you to send money to other people, (by searching for their phone number, email address, or username) quickly and usually for free.
Social media platforms, shopping apps, mobile operating systems, cryptocurrency wallets, etc have integrated P2P apps. These apps are becoming the most happening trend for mobile app development.
Why are P2P apps widely accepted nowadays?
- P2P payment transactions can be done through any device (desktop, laptop, smartphone, tablet) that has a strong internet connection.
- A customized P2P app solution can meet all the business needs regarding finance.
- It is cost and time effective as no middleman is required to carry out the transaction.
- Provide high security with encryption technologies to protect financial data.
- Users can pay anonymously.
Benefits of P2P apps:
- Money transfers usually happen quickly. If both peers are already enrolled with a linked bank account, they can send and receive money instantly.
- It is a convenient way to pay or request money from your friends and family.
- Some apps allow users to send money abroad; i.e. Facebook Messenger allows U.S. users to send money internationally.
Various industries are greatly affected by the digital revolution when it comes to efficiency and productivity.
In the future, individuals will no longer use banking institutions for personal money transactions. Instead, people will take advantage of online peer-to-peer (P2P) payment applications.
Advancements in technology have put an end to the traditional methods of transactions using cash and loose money. Now, mobile phones have played the role of cheques, credit and debit cards, etc, smartly and digitally. With the introduction of the digital wallets option, people have started using mobile payment applications.
Digital wallets are apps feature that communicates with POS systems to process transactions. These wallets can be stored on the user's mobile, where credit card information is saved.
Why will digital wallets trend in 2023?
- These wallet processes transactions within seconds.
- Digital wallets are safe because they are password protected. Furthermore, to complete a transaction using the Digital Wallet application, the user has to enter the password, which ensures that no one else can transact with your Digital Wallet.
- No charges are levied on the user for using the digital wallet. It is available for use as long as the user requires it.
- There is no minimum balance requirement in the digital wallet. You can simply add the desired amount to the wallet, and no penalty will be levied on a low or zero balance.
- One can use the digital wallet to make payments from anywhere and at any time. Digital wallet apps require a smartphone, internet connection, and linked bank account.
- Users can also transact using the digital wallet by scanning the QR code at the point of sale or by adding the mobile number
Contactless payments have started to be popular these days, and many people want the ability to make payments without contact.
Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL)
At this time, users value the speed and simplicity of mobile payments, and the convenience and spending flexibility of payment methods.
To meet this growing demand, retailers are implementing the Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL) trend.
This payment option includes the possibility that, once payment is made, consumers have the option to split the total order into smaller payments by time frame (months or years).
By using flexible payment options, in addition to a direct benefit to consumers, merchants will also see a benefit in their conversion rates, as BNPL can increase the average order value. The BNPL regulation is having a positive impact on digital users, especially young consumers, who may have limited financial stability.
Advantages of BNPL:
- The best advantage of using the payment app is the customer convenience as they will be able to pay using their mobile phone either using contactless payment or by scanning the QR code instantly.
- Payments made using a mobile wallet are often easier and faster than swiping or inserting a card. Secure way to pay Payments made using mobile phone apps allow the user to use a cell phone to make in-store purchases.
- For starters, most of the customers prefer to pay their bills using debit/credit cards as compared to the traditional mode of cash payment. Most mobile payment processors will transfer funds to a business account within three days. BNPL is a fast way to pay all users, just tap, pay and go.
Cryptocurrency as payment
Bitcoin has already influenced mobile payments and the trend is predicted to continue through 2023.
Cryptocurrency has replaced mobile payments, allowing people with smartphones and internet connections to interact with other users around the world, especially in emerging countries.
It is known that crypto coins have become famous trading products during the past 2021-22, If you are planning to implement the way your users push payments, you should consider accepting bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies as a form of payment, in 2023.
A cryptocurrency is a digital medium of exchange that relies on peer-to-peer blockchain technology; because it is decentralized in nature.
Small businesses may choose to accept cryptocurrency for many reasons; it is at the forefront of technology, it can attract customers using crypto, and it eliminates certain types of fraud.
Benefits of accepting cryptocurrency
- Accepting crypto can result in additional fees and costs as low as 1% of the value of each transaction.
- The decentralized setup of crypto also protects merchants from fraudulent chargebacks.
- Crypto enables small businesses to try and open their doors to international buyers who previously could not access their products and services.
- Accepting cryptocurrency provides customers with additional ways to make payments while providing an additional layer of security for their information.
Cryptocurrency is all the rage these days, with wild price fluctuations happening almost daily, this medium of exchange (over 10 years old) is finally working its way into the mainstream.
The cryptocurrency is now actively traded 24*7 and according to data from Skynova. More than 30% of small businesses in the US now accept it.
Voice Search Optimization
Voice search optimization can be defined as the process of optimizing web pages to appear in voice search only. With the help of voice assistants and IoT, devices using voice recognition are rapidly gaining popularity.
Technology has advanced so much that by the coming year, these devices will be able to recognize the voices of different people and provide a personalized AI-based experience.
In the field of mobile and web development, the latest innovations are voice-activated self-standing devices, and voice optimization for apps and websites.
Voice search optimization helps app developers in the following ways:
- It makes local SEO campaigns more effective.
- Can answer customer queries quickly.
- Develop more trust and customer loyalty.
- Early adopters: Alexa (Amazon), Google Assistant
Impact of Voice Search technologies for business applications.
- It provides a channel for the fastest and most secure modes of communication. Surprisingly, finding these techniques useful, most people enjoy using them, making communication between one person and another more alive.
- Mobile application with the incorporation of voice search technologies adds value to the user's feedback.
- One of the most important advancements that help you maneuver through the IT sector, and find some essential products online is the sound search strategy.
- Voice search technologies support compatibility with artificial intelligence, generating a wide range of potentially advanced options
- Along with voice search technologies revolutionize the way we work. It is an important implementation in technology to harness technological power by improving negotiation rates, thereby increasing business success.
With the increase in AI-enabled devices, voice recognition saves time and helps us multitask. According to studies, there could be around 8 billion digital voice assistants in use by 2023.
This huge growth in voice search optimization will become trendy for mobile app development in 2023.
The API-first approach means that for any development project, your API is treated as a "first-class citizen".
Everything about a project revolves around the idea that the final product will be consumed by mobile devices, and APIs will be consumed by client applications.
As new technologies emerge, it is essential to establish relationships between them, and APIs facilitate these connections.
However, API-first development has major benefits - the most important being that it is user-centric.
API and code can be reused on many different projects. When a development team wants to build a new app, they don't have to start from scratch which is time-consuming and expensive.
APIs make it possible to add new services and technologies to applications without having to re-architect the entire system first.
Advantages of API-First Model in Web Development
- Apart from being developer-friendly, API-first development has tremendous benefits such as:
- Reduces the learning path of developers as documented and consistent APIs are provided.
- APIs are reliable and consistent, therefore reducing the risk of system failure.
- Stakeholders can provide feedback on the design of the API before any code is written. Early adopters: Netflix, Etsy
The method allows developers to work in parallel, reducing development time and cost. In addition, it ensures that all APIs are reliable and consistent, it reduces the risk of failure of a project. Thus, API-first development is becoming a major trend in app development in 2023.
Push-Notifications are clickable pop-ups that show recommendations and appear on the user's mobile screen from installed apps.
Technology is used as an instant channel through which companies can communicate information such as offers and messages. It can be implemented on any device - laptop, smartphone, or tablet.
As we have seen, push notifications are one of the most loved features of progressive web apps.
It is a powerful tool that helps to capture the attention of users and increase retention rates.
Internet giants such as Facebook and Google have already implemented this technology in their web applications.
Advantages of push notifications:
- Reach the audience whenever and wherever you want
- Engage users with highly curated content
- A powerful monetization tool to increase revenue and deliver value to advertising partners
Push notifications help mobile app development in the following ways:
- Enhanced user experience.
- Drive visitors and click rates.
- Promise more ROI to clients.
- Early Adopters: Amazon, SAFE APPS.
In 2022, we saw this technology being adopted by many businesses. Plus, these instant notifications can replace normal communication channels like email.
Push notifications can be easily integrated into online shopping apps, existing blogs, and other websites. So, push notifications will become more obvious in 2023.
Serverless architecture or serverless computing is a software development model where app development is hosted by a third party.
It allows developers to build and run services without having an underlying infrastructure, so you don't need to handle server software or hardware.
This means developers can write and deploy code, while the cloud provider provisioning servers to run its applications, databases, and storage systems at any scale.
- The technology helps you avoid system overloading, and data loss and reduce development costs.
- Serverless architecture is a recent web development technology supported by major vendors such as Amazon Web Services.
- The model allows you to replace a regular server with a cloud to manage machine resource consumption.
- Helps to keep the internet more sustainable.
In the coming years, the technology is projected to be widely used for IoT apps and products that require complex backend requests.
Advantages of Serverless Architecture in Web Development
- Requires less computing power and human resources.
- Developers can get more time to focus on UX.
- Organizations don't have to worry about server management.
Examples: Google Cloud Functions, Microsoft Azure Functions, Amazon Web Services.
Motion UI is a front-end UI framework, that is used to build fully responsive web designs. It is a modern and in-demand UX design element that brings your website and app interfaces to life.
The advantage of Motion UI:
- It is the most effective and direct way to grab and retain a person's attention.
- You can broadcast your messages quickly by using motion design animation and animated graphics.
- Reveal the meaning of ideas and organize data in a convenient and simple format.
Motion UI is a new approach to UI designing that makes digital products more intuitive and user-friendly.
Motion UI is a SASS library for designing CSS transitions and animations easily and quickly. It combines Sass maxims, CSS animations, and transitions to create impressive effects.
- Motion UI provides over two dozen built-in transition and animation classes, making prototyping simple.
- It helps to create an easy interface that guides users and provides an enjoyable experience.
Benefits of Motion UI in Web Development
- It makes web design more effective by helping users find the correct information they search for.
- It enables the prototyping of animated elements at a faster pace.
It is one of the most important trends in mobile application development as it makes UI design faster and simpler.
The future of mobile payment trends is exciting. There is an ocean of opportunities for the mobile app industry.
New product categories are expected to emerge, and technology has come with the promise to improve mobile trends by providing cheaper, faster, more convenient, and more transparent services.
2023 will witness great progress in mobile development. In this blog, we have reviewed the hottest upcoming trends of the future. These trends are going to give us new experiences for the future.
Apart from these, there are countless other mobile app development trends that are likely to happen over the next few years.
You will have voice-first interfaces and conversational UIs with chatbots; edge computing instead of cloud computing; there will be 5G as well as edge computing devices available; virtual assistants will be embedded in everything, and there’ll be greater emphasis on privacy and security.
The pandemic has accelerated these trends and it is always good to be on top of the latest trends as it provides a distinct advantage over your competitors.
Integrating relevant trends will definitely set your business up for success.
So it is important to keep your eye on these upcoming trends in order to improve your website ranking, provide the best experience to your users and achieve new heights.
Embracing your users can help you grow your business and gain an edge over your competitors.
Get Help for your Mobile App Development:
Think_360 offers world-class app development and UI/UX services to our clients across CANADA. Our professional teams of developers and designers constantly stay up-to-date with top trends to offer best-in-class services.
If you are looking to adopt these trends for your website and mobile development endeavor, contact us today. We can guide you on project management tools that may be the thing you need to shorten and optimize your mobile app development time.