What is Usability?
“Usability is effectiveness, efficiency, and satisfaction with which specific users can achieve a specific set of tasks in a particular environment”
- The important thing is to remember that usability is about people. It is about designing THINGS so that people can use them easily.
- It is NOT about training people to cope with badly designed things.
- Usability is a scientific and structured methodology based on Human Factors and Ergonomics, Cognitive Psychology, etc., collectively known as User-Centered Design or UCD.
- Usability is the end result of following the User-Centered Design methodology throughout the design process.
What is not Usability?
- Usability is not UI Design/Development. UI Design/Development is more a discipline focusing on the technical aspects of Front End development.
- Aesthetics and Visual Design does not ensure Usability, Usability is a result of research, domain expertise, technology, and aesthetics.
- Asking users what they want and laundry lists do not ensure usability. A usability process that is solely dependent on asking what users want is prone to failures as users cannot precisely articulate what the core issues are. Observe users than ask.
- Marketing research can provide direction and base for Usability Analysis but is not entirely in itself for lack of ingrained end-user focus.
- Common sense is not usability, Common sense based approach towards Usability tends to fail miserably as common sense differs from person to person and is often biased.
- UX Testing
- User Research
- UX Audit
- Eye Ball Tracking
- Mobile Usability Testing
- International Usability Testing
- Expert Review (Usability Inspection)
- User Experience Design
- Kids Usability Testing
- Consulting & Training
- Rapid Prototyping
- Web Analytics
Who We Help?
eCommerce managers use us to find and fix their site or app’s biggest problems, and then run A/B tests to measure the improvement.
Entrepreneurs in lean startups use us in their Build-Measure-Learn feedback loop.
Executives use us to benchmark their company over time against the competition.
Product managers use us to get inside the heads of their target customers, watch what they do, and hear what they think.
Usability Testing Process
We Identify Usability Issues Checklist
- Improvements needed in User Performance
- Business Objectives
- Critical or frequent tasks
- Questionable and new areas of design
- Evaluation results
- User Comments
Our example criteria for Usability
- Task Groups XYZ will be completed in less than a minute
- User will be able to identify fast paths for the navigation X
- User will be able to complete task x with zero errors
- 90% of users will be able to complete task x in the first attempt
- Time to complete critical tasks
- Successful task completion
- Improvisation in critical paths
- Reduced failures
- SUS rating of 8 on a scale of 10
- 90% of users would want to use the application
- 90% of users appreciate the concept
- 90% of users acknowledge the application as a critical and valuable tool for their performance
We provide 3 types of Usability Testing
Low Fidelity Testing
We conducted during the initial stages of information architecture and presentation design phases. Usually conducted using wireframes or skeletons and Visual Composite samples. Helpful in A/B testing
- Expectancy Test: Evaluate initial mental models
- Performance Test: Navigation Design
- Visual Affordance Test: Affordance, Aesthetics, and Ergonomics
High Fidelity Testing
Simulates actual application to the possible levels within the identified scenarios. Not a replacement for Live Site testing but we can identify potential usability issues
- Free Exploration test: Identifies associated learning curves for first time users, may provide valuable data for navigation design and support systems
- Eye Tracking: Identifies key focal points and scanning patterns on the presentation layers. Can be a valuable tool while designing mission-critical, and information dense applications
- Performance Test: Organization of content, Navigation Design, Layout, Task Flow, Controls and Content
Our team do Field Research and is a continuous research activity. Helps in identifying social, cultural, geographical and market impacts. Not to be confused with Usability Analysis and or Testing. Ethnography is a Human Factors discipline and is derived from Anthropology and Social Sciences. Forms the basis for wide array of social and cognitive researchers Provides basis and validity for UCD methodologies Data derived can help in identifying appropriate conceptual models as per the criteria suitable for research groups and long-term and continuous HumanFactors data collection
Modes of Usability Testing
- Moderated testing and Un Moderated testing
- Closed door or one-way see-through window
- Allows facilitator to interact with participant and clarify test related details
- Helpful while testing new and highly confidential concepts, will enable to control what data flows out of the floor
- May not be appropriate for small-scale testing and is not an effective replacement for field testing
- To be chosen carefully considering un-natural environment for the participants and cost.
- Moderated and Un Moderated Testing
- Helpful when users are spread across the globe
- Helps in observing users in their natural environments
- Data collections, analysis, logs become easier
- Facilitates remote observers to join from various locations
- Multiple teams can participate and collect logs andobservationsScenarios and Tasks can be pushed remotely
- Tools like Morae can automatically collect various parameters like task completion rates, task failures, success ratios etc.
- We use a website analytics tool such as Google Analytics, Facebook Insights and measure the problems in your conversion funnel.
- We also measure from user behavior analysis tools such as Heatmaps, HotJar – Visitor Recordings, Form Analysis and On-page Surveys, and find what is stopping the visitors from converting. For example, “The CTA button is not prominent on the home page.”
- We normally test Headlines, Sub Headlines, CTA, Images, Content near the fold, Social proof, links etc.
- We create a variation per your hypothesis, and A/B test it against the original page.
- We analyze the A/B test results and see which variation delivered the highest conversions.
- We share the test results and the insights generated with Marketing, IT, and UI/UX team.
Tools we use for Usability Testing
Tobii Pro - Eye Tracking
Usability Testing Reports
A/B Testing Reports
UX Recommendations Report
Remote Lab Based Testing Reports
Lydrasoft hired us to conduct the remote UT at their own labs, Our Role is to create UT task list/surveys and generate reports on the basis of metrics & UX recommendations.
Usability Testing Case Studies
Gig TricksWe created User Experience for Freelance Services Marketplace for The Lean Entrepreneur in the Middle East.
Lab AdvisorLabAdvisor is a group of professionals passionate about delivering quality healthcare to the average Indian.
Write something here for good...!